Tuesday, April 7, 2009

To arm or not to arm

As the last weeks have illustrated, the human penchant for destruction continues unabated. Whether due to economic or relational turmoil, many in this country have turned to their darker selves; murdering strangers and family alike. Anger unleashed in terrible orgies of violence. It seems at times almost incomprehensible. Nary a day goes by anymore without inexplicable violence being broadcast to the masses. While I don't expect to be gunned down by any immediate family members, or distant ones for that matter, the spate of individuals systematically killing people they don't know to vet their anger and despair is truly depressing. Should I worry that I, or those whom I care for or about, might soon be victims of this?

does this mean I need to arm myself. Just in case.

Emotionally maybe. Rationally I'm skeptical. Theologically? I think it's problematic.

Having heard the many reasons why I might need a gun; it's my constitutionally protected right, it allows me to protect myself from whatever miasma of uncertainty I might encounter, it's empowering; I think, I should rush out and obtain the necessary firepower to protect myself and the fruits of my good fortune. Should any whack job threaten me, I can blow his sorry ass to hell and beyond. Like the many heroes, and anti-heroes, roaming the big and not so big screens that capture my waking moments, I won't be a passive statistic, but rather a man in control.

Now it's not as if these images and beliefs haven't been beat into the ground time and time again, but rationally, or in the real world ( remember keeping it real? ), I have my concerns. Consider:
The utilization of any weapon in an effective manner is dependent upon the individual having the training, situational know how, and experience. Love that kind of talk; don't you? Anyway, plainly put, if you're blindly trying to find, load, aim, or discharge a firearm either half asleep or hopped up on adrenaline, you're more likely to kill yourself or a loved one or an innocent bystander than any intended intruder or bad guy. How many people possessing firearms drill themselves? Know which situations to anticipate possible trouble and the best course of action? I know many have had military training and one would think that would help, but it's not self defense training per Se; a means to protect house and home; it's meant to train individuals for the vicissitudes of combat and war. I'm not particularly enamored with the idea that we should all be packing heat to dissuade would be miscreants. Gunfights in our homes, which probably occur the most often, stores,and streets don't lend themselves to a safe and orderly society. Nor do they allow justice to prevail. At some point, hopefully, it's better for cooler heads to ascertain guilt or innocence.

Theologically, if you believe in an afterlife, and expect it to be much better than life on earth; then why would you be concerned with what may happen to you here? Granted, nobody wants to be a victim of violence, but we live in a world of violence, and sometimes violence finds you. Which do you ascribe to; turning the other cheek, or an eye for an eye? I don't see how it can be both. It's what bothers me about certain adherents to Christianity; they want salvation, but not the pacifism.

I don't carry a gun; nor own one, because I fear with it I'll do more harm than good. I don't want to live as if everyone I come across is a potential threat that I must be ready for. I have enough to think about as it is. I'm not necessarily advocating passivity, or doing nothing, but having been taught to use firearms; having used them, if only in preparation for possible violence, I know their ability to do great harm.

Still ( there's that word again ), there's a sense of impotence when someones anger compels them to do great evil and we're left to deal with the aftermath. There's no salve for lost lives, often no way to keep people, who before their terror, were like all the rest from acting out in the most obscene ways. Anger can be a terrible thing.

I just don't know that a gun can save me from that.

No comments:

Post a Comment