Tuesday, April 10, 2018

Ah, the Playlist is Back in Vogue

I am a long time playlister. Back at the dawn of time, I began making cassette tapes filled with my favorite songs from my vaunted LP collection. One reason was simple, mostly; there was not and there is still not, any phonograph that will work in a motor vehicle. Plus, I got to put on what I liked and not be subjected to the stuff I did not like. I grew up with radio, but inevitably grew tired of the following: the same rotation every day for commercial radio or hearing a great song that wasn't popular enough to be played more than once or twice a day and not being around when they played it, or I'd hear a great song on college/alternative radio and might never hear it again. Then there was all the music I'd read about that never got played on any station I'd ever listened to.
I also got heavy into Walkman's and you gotta have tapes for your Walkman.
and I made a bunch,
These are but a few.
I also created lists for the many iPods I've owned over the years; some habits die hard.
It is for this reason that I find the list-mania so interesting. I f you haven't heard, lists on streaming sites such as Spotify are the big thing and in order to be anybody you've got to get on the lists generating the most streams. Never mind the noise about labels and other big players buying spots or creating lists and then creatively covering their tracks, although I don't know why, being a corporate giant doesn't quite have the villainy it once did.

so for fun here's the latest playlist I put together (I set 20 as the song limit per list):
1. Free as a Bird, Lennon and the three other fabs; I know, I know...
2. Let Love Rule, Ledisi, R&B, totally grooves.
3. The Air That I Breathe, The Hollies, greta harmonies.
4. Rock Candy, Montrose, classic 70's rock.
5. My Baby Left Me, Elvis when he was a punk, love it.
6. Looking Forward to the Past, Tommy Immanuel with Rodney Crowell, the kinda country I love-greta tune, great guitar work.
7. Somebody's Baby, Jackson Browne, love it because it's not your typical JB tune.
8. Nobody, Doobie Brothers, first hit, classic Doobie's sound.
9. Candy, Nat King Cole, love that voice!
10. Highway Tune, Greta Van Fleet, the new alternate Zeps.
11. Seven Bridges Road, Eagles, yes, I'm trapped in the 70's, plus I love the harmonies.
12. Hey! Ya You, The Elwins, heard the band a few years ago at the ASCAP confab, quality Canadian pop.
13. You Oughta Know, Alanis Morissette, pissed at an old flame? This is your song.
14. When Will I Be Loved, Everly Brothers, classic plain and simple.
15. Mother Freedom, Bread, their only rock hit.
16. Lady D'Arbanville, Cat Stevens, I've always liked his early stuff.
17. Big Noise, Kyle Eastwood, thumping jazz.
18. Working Class Hero, Jon Lennon at his most acerbic.
19. Solitary Man, Neil Diamond, one of my favorites.
20. Muzika Dyla Fil'ma, Persephone's Bees, rocking indie band from Oakland, sung in Russian.

This sort of list is common for me and you'd never hear it on the radio or I wager on Spotify.
©2018 David William Pearce








No comments:

Post a Comment