Wednesday, August 1, 2018

Wow, That Sounds Really Good!

Often times when I hear from people who have graciously taken a little time to listen to my recordings, they remark on how good the recordings sound. Some of that is based on the fact that I do this at home versus in a recording studio, but mostly, it's because I'm stuck in the 60's and 70's recording-wise.

The bands and artists I like and admire the most, from the Beatles to Steely Dan to Peter Gabriel were, and are, big proponents of timbre, which is a term used for musical diversity within a song. I like using different sounds and styles within my recordings, always have. Even within the same instrument class; guitars for example, I like variety, which is why my guitar collection isn't simply different versions of the same guitar; for instance a Gibson Les Paul, of which there are many kinds.

It's also important to give those instruments room to breathe so they can be heard. That can be a challenge, but I find that part of the fun. Where is the instrument in the spectrum from left to right? Where it is panned to-the recording term. Is it close or in the distance? Reverb is what gets us there. Dry is close, right in your face; wet is deep, in the back.

Finally, easy on the compression; use just what you need and maintain the space. It matters because that's what give a recording it richness and it's depth. It's also what makes it interesting and gives the listener a reason to go back again and again.

If you wonder why you don't hear more interesting music within Pop music, I recommend you check it out here.

This Weeks Song is The Fall From Grace from Winter. It's a simple song about a disintegrating relationship that was built on the premise that you could change someone with a song. The beginning of the track is from the original demo for 2 reasons, one, I liked the way it turned out, and 2, the rawness of the recording; it sounds like someone playing for another. It also provides a stunning intro as the full sound follows. Hear it here at mrprimitivemusic.com.

©2018 David William Pearce







No comments:

Post a Comment