Friday, November 9, 2018

There's Always Music

There are times, like now for instance, where it can feel like too much- too much anger, too much conflict, too much separation between us. Times when I put on the headphones and turn up the tunes. Music is my dope of choice when the world gets to be too much.
I've been doing this for most of my life. It's also why I make music. Believe or not, I don't find composition, recording, working out parts troublesome or problematic; to me, it's for the most part soothing, other than those times when I can't nail that guitar solo and it pisses me off!
But that doesn't happen very often.
It's also why I make the music I want, so that at times like these I got my own thing to sooth my troubled soul.
I also have my many, many lists of all the artists I've come to love and enjoy over the years, which are an off-shoot from all the cassettes I made in yon olden days to listen to in whatever vehicle I had at the time so as not to have to listen to the same sorry crap over and over on the radio.
That lists are de rigueur now on streaming services such as Spotify-where you can stream all released Mr Primitive albums😎-makes me smile.
The primal nature of music and rhythms do much to re-align my chi, even if I don't know what that means, remind me that we all dig our own thing but often enjoy the same things musically, be it Rock, Jazz, Rap, classical, or good old standards. It's also a way to make raking leaves and mowing grass more tolerable, and can make sports on TV far more palatable than many hours listening to the same turgid commentary from the same talking heads.
It's also a great place to retreat to when the inevitable talk of 2020 gets to be too much!

Song of the Week:
The Screamer from Broken Hearts and the Fabulous Perch, is a song about losing your mooring, even in a paradise such as Hawaii where it was written. It's drifting and wandering, searching for something that you can't really make out, and the reality of knowing that, but not being able to change it. As like a lot of the album, there were problems, later revealed, during the recording process, namely that some of the scratch vocal had bled through. To fix this, I added other background speaking voices to cover for this little mistake. The other part that I like to point to is Mark McCoin's percussion at the end of the song. He brought in a number of unusual items, a jack-in-the-box, for instance, and I think it adds very much to the tone of the track.
You can hear it at mrprimitivemusic.com.

©2018 David William Pearce









No comments:

Post a Comment