Friday, December 7, 2018

You Should Write a Christmas Song



Yes, I should. Will I? Probably not.
Mostly because there's more than enough christmas songs out there. One more isn't going to make Christmas better or more enjoyable. It might even make it worse if I feel obligated to bug people to listen to a great new Christmas tune! 
I wouldn't like that either.
Besides, even the best young artists of today still record their own versions of Christmas classics so you won't have to forever listen to Dean Martin or Tony Bennett or Andy Williams or someone you consider old and so yesterday.
Been there, done that.
There's also the problem of mis-interpretation; the present example being Frank Loesser's Baby It's Cold Outside.
I don't need that.

The other thing is my propensity to write oblique emotionally driven songs. I don't see that as being terribly festive. I could challenge myself to write a festive upbeat holiday song that will be loved through the ages...but that sounds like a lot of work.

Maybe next year.

In the meantime I can always pull up my iPod Xmas list and go from there. With 311 songs, it'll keep me occupied for a while.

***

Speaking of lists and trying to be hit to what's popular, I've been listening, or trying, to the various songlists that Spotify puts together. The pop stuff is such that I'd need a separate blog post to adequately note my concerns, but I would, for those who like instrumental music, or need a break from the thumpy dystopia that is popular music, I recommend the Tastemakers list.
It's quite good and varied.

Album of the Week: 

Yes, I'm still hyping this because I think it's fun and I should give it more than a week before I move on. You can hear it on spotify.com, Apple Music, and of course, at mrprimitivemusic.com.

©2018 David William Pearce













2 comments: