Monday, August 28, 2017

Isn't it terrible that Taylor Swift is more famous than you?

Well, no. And before I tear into my soliloquy I should probably throw out a few qualifiers:

One, I had never actually listened to any Taylor Swift songs or albums. That wasn't for any particular reason other than I can't imagine being in her target audience when she began as a young country Ingenue in 2006, or as she progressed toward being the megastar she is now in popular music. But, as a service to those who will read this, I did go to Spotify, now that she's back, and listened to 2 songs per album as well as the new song that was released last week, You Made Me Do It. 

Two, for those of us not in the business of being both a celebrity and an actual producer/creator-immaterial from we or others may think of your work-it is a kind of macabre fascination into everything that seems to go into being a pop star nowadays.

So is it terrible that I'm not as well known as Taylor Swift? Yes, it's terrible, but...

As a go it alone, work at my own pace, do what I want kind of artist, it is more to my suiting. How? For starters, I don't have a small army dependent on my success to maintain their financial well-being. Of course, they may work for any number of performers, but since Ms. Swift is at the top of the pile, I assume she comes first, and being at the top of the pile requires a whole other level of commitment because...

You're only one dismal record or song or controversy from becoming a B-list celebrity/performer/creator to then finding yourself on the nostalgia circuit or Dancing With The Stars!

That's not necessarily a bad thing, times change, you have to adapt. And she is an attractive woman who I imagine could easily transition in to TV/film, etc.

Sounds like more work than I'm up for (which the snarks would point out is why I'm living in nowheresville, man!).

BUT...the one thing I find most fascinating about Taylor Swift is the feuds, the bad boyfriends, the snark, the victimhood-manufactured or otherwise-it is evidently part and parcel to fame these days. Whatever it is works because everyone is talking and writing about it.

That's the point right? In this age of all that's out there, you have to rise above the noise (sadly that might include me) and be heard. I would think that just by being Taylor Swift whatever your next project would automatically be news in and of itself because you're Taylor Swift? Like the Beatles, right? It's the music, man!

I could be wrong.

The other question is whether this is par for the course when it come to women entertainers of a certain level? Maybe not Adele, but I don't know that for a fact, mainly because I don't care even if some think I should. Instead, I'm the type who thinks the work is what's most important and we know what happens to those types-think noise.

It seems though that to pierce through the fog or shine that bright light is a requirement that I don't think I'm up to even if I had the look, the hook, and the story compelling enough to warrant the scrutiny or interest.

That, however, would require a completely separate post.


No comments:

Post a Comment