Tuesday, January 2, 2018

The dreaded "Year in Review"

It was, given some introspection, a very good year! It's important to note that for nothing good can come from what I impart to you without that understanding! And yes, I'm ripping off Dickens.

Creatively, there was the new album, Whispers (From a Forgotten Memory), and at this point in life-I'm not exactly a Spring chicken-it's always good that there are new ideas and songs flowing rather than regurgitations of the past or, more politely, retreads of songs done better. Whispers, while not perfect, and what is that's interesting, allowed me to pursue different ideas and themes that would not have occurred to me all those years ago.

That said, I still like the old stuff and have continued to release it. Both PearceArrow and Ice Flows were released to wide acclaim or its equivalency and on January 5th, the prequel to Apologia, Life Without Chickens,
 will be released. I also plan to release Desperate Mothers and Broken Hearts and the Fabulous Perch this year.

But that's not all!

New projects include Primitive Desires, a meditation on life in the 21st century which will be all new music, and I'm finally going to record a releasable version of Winter, a album of songs from the early 80's that never progressed beyond demos, but are a favorite of mine and it needs to be finished.

I also plan to write about music and all that entails from my thoughts in general to what I'm listening to and cogent commentary on why everything new is terrible (wink, wink, nudge, nudge; know what I mean...) 

This week's song is from Whispers, To The Life. The song is about relationships and how they evolve over time through memory. The idea, as you listen to it, is that this could be about any number of relations; of those still together, of those apart; of those between lovers or between children and parents; that whatever we once thought, time has irrevocably changed how we see those relationships for good or bad. Lyrically there are impressions of moments past and present, of desires never quite sated, and of longing for a kind of closure and connection.

Oh, and may the new year be as wonderful as you can stand.

No comments:

Post a Comment