Friday, February 22, 2019

Crap! When You Realize That All That Work Has to be Redone


There is the joy of anticipation and the joy of having finished a song.

Mostly.

There are, thankfully rare, those times when upon completion, or more often, well into the project, when you realize that something is not right in the state of Denver and no amount of fiddling and re-recording of parts will make it better, and as you're on all fours, pounding the floor, you ask yourself:

Well? How did I get here?

And the answer is that you weren't paying attention because if you were, you'd have noticed that the meter was all over the place. And there's no way to fix that (There may be with those who intimately know how to slice and dice digital files, but I ain't that guy!).

That means... delete, and start over.  Rats! Although I didn't use that word.

While drinking heavily and whining that you don't want to re-record all the parts you just finished recording, there is the silver-lining, in my case, that I haven't just wasted a lot of money and time in someone's studio. No, in my case with my own studio, I merely wasted a lot of my time. One would hope that in a studio where you're paying, the engineer would politely tell you you're all over the place, or advise you to fire the drummer.

In my case, it's hard to fire yourself.

On the plus side, because there's no other good way to look at this, you wonder if maybe you should try it a different way, and if you're lucky, something wonderful comes up. Sometimes.

Sometimes you simply sigh heavily and re-record.

And yes, I'm telling you this because it just happened to me and I feel the need to share.
On the plus side, the re-record is not all over the place. I just wish I had the previous 8 hours back.

©2019 David William Pearce













No comments:

Post a Comment