Monday, December 30, 2019

A Year of Open Mics




I got out there and performed a lot of songs this year. Open mics, one of which I host, group concerts, benefits, and just for fun with fellow songwriters and friends.

Which was something of a departure for me. It's not that I didn't perform; I did, just not very often.

This year, however, I thought I should do more and with the pleasant prodding from Joy Taeko, I ended up going out every week at least once or twice, which, over a year's time is a lot for a shut-in like me.

The result, is that I, as you would assume, got better at performing: more comfortable, more emotive, which is very important, and a better player. All of which works to one's benefit.

The other thing, and I mentioned this before, is how much talent and variety is out there, and what a joy and pleasure it is to be a part of it. If streaming and the popular media is the only place you hear new music (or the same old stuff), then you're missing out on many wonderful experiences. Sure, open mics aren't going to have the same caliber of performance as professionals, but that's beside the point. The joy is in being a physical part of it, of being close and personal because the songs are always personal and a means for people to explore and explain how they see life and how it affects them.

And don't downplay the part community plays in all of this. We need each other and thrive off one another, music especially.

Here's to another fun year.

©2019 David William Pearce

No comments:

Post a Comment